- 5 cups chopped cauliflower
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 8 TBSP of butter
- 2 Pinata apples from Stemilt, peeled and chopped
- 2-3 TBSP of fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese, grated
Perfect for Meatless Monday, this apple and sage cauliflower gnocchi is a crowd pleaser! Its flavors are rich enough that those eating it won't even know it's made with fruits and vegetables.
- Yield4 entrees servings
- Prep time
- Cook time
- Total time
- In CategoryDinner.
- Steam the cauliflower until it is soft, roughly 5 minutes. Remove the cauliflower from the steamer basket and let it cool. Place the cauliflower into a tea towel or cheesecloth and squeeze out any and all additional water. You want to squeeze the towel really tight.
- Place the cauliflower into a food processor and pulse until it is finely ground. Add 1 tsp of salt, 1/2 tsp of pepper, 1 tbsp of olive oil, and 1 3/4 cups of all-purpose flour and pulse until the mixture comes together into a ball. Place the dough onto a well-floured surface.
- Knead the dough for roughly 3 minutes. Add additional flour if the dough becomes too sticky. The amount of flour you will need depends on how wet the cauliflower was. Shape the kneaded dough into a ball and set it to the side.
- While you are preparing the gnocchi, bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
- Using a pastry cutter or a knife divide the dough into 4 pieces.
- Take one piece of dough and roll into a long rope approximately 1 inch thick. Using a knife, cut the dough into ½ - 1-inch pieces, depending on how thick you want your gnocchi. I tend to err on the smaller size. To shape the gnocchi, you can either roll them into tiny balls and push them against the back of a fork to get the signature gnocchi indents, or you can take the gnocchi as it and push it against the back of a fork. Either method works well. Another option is to purchase a gnocchi board, but it is definitely not necessary.
- Place the gnocchi onto a baking sheet covered with a towel until you are ready to cook. Continue rolling and cutting the other three pieces of dough into gnocchi shapes. Cover with a towel.
- In a large frying pan, add the butter and heat on medium until it starts to brown.
- Add the apples and saute until tender.
- Add the gnocchi to the boiling salted water and cook for 3 minutes until the gnocchi floats to the surface. Add the cooked gnocchi to the apples and butter along with the chopped sage. Fry for a few minutes until the gnocchi has slightly browned.
- Season with salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese. Serve warm!
- Calories: 572
- Fat Content: 31g
- Saturated Fat Content: 17.2 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content: 11 g
- Trans Fat Content: 1 g
- Carbohydrate Content: 64 g
- Protein Content: 12.4 g
- Cholesterol Content: 72 mg
- Fiber Content: 6.7 g
- Sugar Content: 13 g
- Sodium Content: 1075 mg