- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 large chicken-maple sausages (about 2 pounds), casings removed*
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp butter (or vegan buttery spread, for non-dairy version), plus additional to coat baking dish
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 Stemilt apples, peeled, cored, cut into thin wedges and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped dried California apricots
- 7 cups cubed day-old bread (as preferred), or good quality dried bread mix
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock, as preferred
- 1/2 cup toasted, chopped macadamia nuts or chopped candied pecans, as preferred (optional)
This classic stuffing recipe gets a sweet-tart twist with delicious Piñata apples. Your friends and family will love this unique dressing!
- Yield8-10 servings
- Prep time
- Cook time
- Total time
- In CategorySide dish, Dinner
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Butter a large baking dish. Set dish aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add chicken sausage, using a wooden spoon to break up meat. Season with salt and pepper and continue cooking until meat is cooked through and lightly golden, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer cooked sausage to a plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet you cooked your sausage, add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil along with butter (or vegan buttery spread).
- Heat to melt and then add onion, celery, sage, thyme, and rosemary. Mix well and cook for approximately 2 minutes.
- Then add apples and apricots. Continue cooking for another minute.
- Add bread and broth. Mix well to incorporate with sausage mixture and distribute broth throughout bread.
- Cook for another minute, or until broth appears to have soaked into bread fairly well. Add in nuts (optional).
- Transfer dressing mixture to buttered baking dish.
- Place dressing in oven to bake for approximately 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately.
To remove meat from casing, squeeze sausage in middle and gently push meat out of the ends and into skillet.
- Calories: 166.5 mg
- Fat Content: 7.3 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Carbohydrate Content: 23.6 g
- Fiber Content: 3.8 g
- Sugar Content: 10 g
- Cholesterol Content: 18 mg
- Sodium Content: 456.9 mg