- 1 pound (2 cups, about 2 medium) Stemilt apples, peeled, cored and cut into small chunks
- 1/2 tbsp canola oil
- 6 tbsp granulated sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, chilled
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup sharp cheddar, shredded
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp honey
- Warm water
These scones are a little sweet and savory with lots of Honeycrisp apple chunks and some cheddar cheese.
- Yield6 servings
- Prep time
- Cook time
- Total time
- CuisineEuropean, American
- In CategoryBreakfast, snack
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat and add oil and heat. Add apples and 1 tablespoon sugar and sauté while stirring until apples start to soften, about 1 minute.
- Transfer to a bowl and put in the refrigerator to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix together flour, 4 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Grate chilled butter into the flour using a grater (or cut with knives) and use your fingers to combine into a coarse dough.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream, egg, cheddar cheese and apples.
- Add to dry mixture and combine with a spoon just until mixed (do not overmix).
- Pat the dough into a 1-inch thick circle on a floured surface. Cut into 6 wedges and transfer onto baking sheet at least 1-inch apart and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- While scones are cooling, make glaze by mixing together powdered sugar and honey.
- Add water just until you get a glaze thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Drizzle scones and eat!
- Calories: 449
- Fat Content: 24 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Carbohydrate Content: 55 g
- Sodium Content: 155 mg
- Sugar Content: 33 g