- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 large or 2 small Stemilt apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1/2 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 egg, beaten
These apple cheddar turnovers have a sweet and savory element that make them the perfect finger food to enjoy at parties and gatherings.
- Yield12 turnovers servings
- Prep time
- Cook time
- Total time
- In CategoryAppetizers, Desserts,
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Once the butter is simmering, add the apples and nutmeg, stirring to coat evenly.
- Cook for several minutes until the apples are slightly caramelized.
- Dust a clean surface with flour and roll out one chilled sheet of puff pastry (keep the other sheet in the refrigerator until just before using).
- Square off the dough if necessary with a pizza cutter and slice into 6 even squares.
- Spoon 1/2 tablespoon of cheddar into each square followed by 1/2 tablespoon of the apple mixture. Leave space between the filling and the sides of the dough.
- Repeat this process with all 6 pieces of dough. Fold the dough from corner to corner into a triangle shape.
- Use a fork to press the edges together and seal in the filling.
- Place the turnovers on a baking sheet and place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Repeat with the second sheet of dough and the remainder of the filling, placing the turnovers onto the second prepared baking sheet.
- Whisk the egg together with a splash of water and a pinch of salt.
- Remove the baking sheets from the refrigerator and use a small knife to poke 3 holes in the top of each turnover.
- Use a pastry brush to spread a thin layer of egg wash over each turnover.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the dough is cooked through and golden brown on top.
- Calories: 285 mg
- Fat Content: 25 g
- Protein Content: 5.7 g
- Carbohydrate Content: 20.6 g
- Fiber Content: 7.2 g
- Sugar Content: 1.4 g
- Cholesterol Content: 9 mg