- For the rosemary butterscotch sauce:
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- For the apple pear pie:
- Pie dough for 1 double crust pie
- 4 medium SweeTango apples
- 3 medium D'Anjou pears
- 1 1/2 TBSP fresh lemon juice
- 3 TBSP all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 batch rosemary butterscotch sauce
- 1 large egg (for egg wash)
- 2 tsp raw sugar
This is a twist on tradition! Mixing apples and pears creates a great flavor pairing that is made extra delicious with a rosemary butterscotch sauce.
- Yield10 servings servings
- Prep time
- Cook time
- Total time
- CuisineEuropean, American
- In CategoryDessert
To make the rosemary butterscotch sauce:
- Place the brown sugar, cream, butter, and salt in a medium (heavy-bottomed) pot and whisk together.
- Simmer over medium low heat until the sauce reaches 235 degrees F.
- Whisk the sauce as often as it cooks. Transfer to a heat safe container and stir in the vanilla.
- Add the fresh rosemary, allowing it to steep in the sauce until the sauce is completely cool.
To make the pie:
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Roll out half the pie crust to about 2 inches larger than the width of the pie pan, and refrigerate.
- Place the apples and pears in a large bowl and toss together with the lemon juice.
- Add the flour, cinnamon, and salt, and toss to coat. Transfer the filling to the prepared pie shell, and top with half the rosemary butterscotch sauce.
- Roll out the remaining pie crust, cut into strips, and arrange in a lattice pattern over the pie. Trim away any excess dough, roll and crimp the edge, and brush with egg wash.
- Sprinkle raw sugar over the pie for garnish, and bake for 50 to 70 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown, the filling is bubbling, and the fruit is tender.
- Cool for at least 1 hour before slicing. Serve with remaining rosemary butterscotch sauce.
Per Serving (Pie Dish)
- Calories: 383
- Fat Content: 19.3g
- Cholesterol Content: 55mg
- Sodium Content: 451mg
- Carbohydrate Content: 52.9g
- Fiber Content: 4.2g
- Sugar Content: 38.4g
- Protein Content: 2.6g