- 3 tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3 large apples - peeled, cored, and quartered
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 9-inch unbaked pie crust
This recipe originally appeared on AllRecipes.com, courtesy of user Chef John. Image credit: catherine.drew.
- Yield6 servings
- Prep time
- Cook time
- Total time
- In CategoryDessert
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Coat a 10-inch oven-proof skillet with butter. Sprinkle sugar evenly over the top of the butter.
- Place apple quarters, rounded sides down, on top of the butter and sugar in a circular pattern.
- Place skillet over medium-high heat and cook until butter melts and sugar dissolves and begins to caramelize.
- Continue to cook until apples soften and caramel begins to brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle work surface with flour and roll pie dough into an 11-inch circle.
- Pinch edge to create a ruffle around crust.
- Place crust on top of apples and tuck in edges around apples.
- Bake in the preheated oven until crust is golden brown, about 20 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Place a plate over the top of the pan and carefully invert to release tarte from the pan.
- Scrape any remaining apples stuck to the pan back on top of crust.
- Calories: 351