- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 3-4 large apples, about 5 cups chopped
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cardamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 3 tbsp orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 8 ounces Brie cheese (soft variety), room temperature
- 2 cups heavy cream, very cold
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
Honeycrisp apples are the star of this apple spice compote which tops a delicious homemade buttermilk cake.
- Yield10 servings
- Prep time
- Cook time
- Total time
- In CategoryDessert
- Place rack in center of oven, preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Lightly oil a 9 inch cake pan, using the grapeseed oil.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In a medium bowl, combine buttermilk, grapeseed oil, vanilla extract, and eggs and whisk to combine.
- Pour buttermilk/oil mixture into flour. Using a spatula, gently combine, do not over mix.
- Pour batter into a lightly oiled 9 inch cake pan.
- Place in oven and bake for 40-45 minutes. Remove from oven, and remove from cake pan. Allow to cool on a wire rack for minimum 1 hour before assembly.
- Place chopped apples, salt, cinnamon, cardamon, nutmeg, salt, zest, and juice into a medium sauce pot.
- Bring to a light boil over medium heat, reduce heat to medium low, and allow simmer for 5 minutes covered.
- Uncover and cook for another 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Use a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment. Add brie and whip for 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add heavy cream, and whip for 3 minutes, until medium-stiff peaks are formed.
- Add sugar and whip for 1 minute, until combined.
- Place cooled cake on a large plate.
- Using a large spatula spread the frosting on the cake, just covering the top, not sides.
- Using a large ladle or spoon, scoop spiced apple compote on center of cake over frosting.
For those 21 and over, pair this recipe with Champagne or Moscato wine.
- Calories: 216 mg
- Fat Content: 38 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Carbohydrate Content: 34 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Sugar Content: 9 g
- Cholesterol Content: 99 mg
- Sodium Content: 582 mg