- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 tbsp dark molasses
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt (omit if using salted butter)
- 6 sturdy lollipop sticks or chopsticks
- 6 medium apples (rinsed and patted dry, room temperature)
- Candy thermometer
This classic treat is perfect for gifts and celebrations!
- Yield6 servings
- Prep time
- Cook time
- Total time
- In CategoryDessert, Snacks
- Place sugar, butter, cream, corn syrup, molasses, vanilla, and salt in a thick-bottomed 3-4 quart saucepan.
- Heat on medium to medium low heat and stir slowly with a wooden spoon until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved.
- Let the caramel mixture come to a rolling boil, adjusting the heat to prevent the caramel from boiling over.
- Continue to stir in a slow figure-eight pattern with a wooden spoon.
- When the temperature of the mixture reaches 240°F (after about 15 minutes or so of boiling), remove from heat and pour into a metal bowl.
- Let the hot caramel mixture sit in the bowl until the temperature cools to just below 200°F
- While the caramel sauce is cooking and cooling, line a baking sheet with buttered aluminum foil.
- Insert the sticks into the center of the apples through the stem end.
- When the caramel sauce has cooled sufficiently, working one at a time, dip the apples into the sauce.
- Swirl each apple around in the sauce to completely coat the apple, except for the very top near the stick.
- Pull the apple up from the sauce and let the excess caramel gently drip back into the bowl.
- Place the coated apple onto the lined baking sheet. Some caramel sauce will form a little pool at the base of each apple.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Once the caramel has chilled a few minutes, remove from the refrigerator and press the caramel that has pooled at the bottom of the apples up against the side of the apples.
- Calories: 390
- Fat Content: 21.3g
- Cholesterol Content: 61mg
- Sodium Content: 312mg
- Carbohydrate Content: 54.1g
- Fiber Content: 5.4g
- Sugar Content: 32g
- Protein Content: 1.1g