- 4 pounds apples, peeled, cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2/3 cup of white granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp of coarse baking sugar for dusting
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Juice of 2 lemons, around 3 tbsp
- 6 tbsp of unsalted butter, diced
- 2 tbsp of white all-purpose flour
- 2 round disks of pie dough, lightly dusted with flour
- 1 tbsp of water
- 1 small egg, beaten
The art of the classic apple pie is a true labor of love.
Yield1 pie or 12 servings serving
- In a large mixing bowl, add the apples and lemon juice, and then use your hands to gently fold and coat the lemon juice across the apples to prevent browning.
- Once coated, toss in the cinnamon and salt, and fold once more to blend them all together.
- Gently melt the butter into a large skillet, and slowly add the sugar, stirring until you have a melted butter thick with sugar.
- And then add the apples to the pan and simmer over medium heat until slightly tender, around 15 minutes.
- Once tender, mix in the flour and stir for a moment longer, or until the juices in the pan are thick. Remove the apples from the heat, and allow them to cool to room temperature.
- Lightly dust your pie dish with flour, and place the first dough disk along the bottom of the pan, before filling with the cooled apples.
- Then top with the second pie disk; the mound will be high, so ensure that your second disk is slightly larger than the first to cover the mound of apples.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly coat the edges of the bottom disk with egg and then use your hands to press the top and bottom disk together.
- Fold the overhang dough under itself and then crimp the edges between your fingers to create a waved edge.
- Add the water to remaining egg and lightly brush the top of the pie with it, then sprinkle with sugar.
- Cut a few slits on the top for vents and then refrigerate for 2 hours.
- While the pie chills, place a large baking sheet on the lower middle rack of your oven, and preheat it to 425F. Before placing your pie on the hot baking sheet, apply 2 inch strips of foil to the edges to prevent over browning, then place in the oven and immediately reduce the heat to 375 and bake for an hour.
- After 45 minutes remove the foil, and rotate the pie.
- Once baked, move to cooling rack and allow it to rest for 2 hours before serving.
- Calories: 206
- Fat Content: 9.4g
- Cholesterol Content: 27mg
- Sodium Content: 119mg
- Carbohydrate Content: 31.9g
- Fiber Content: 2g
- Sugar Content: 24.9g
- Protein Content: .9g