- 1/3 cup dried currants
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 6 firm but ripe d'Anjou pears
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- Vegetable oil for brushing on grill
Perfectly grilled pears with currants and apple juice make a delicious sweet and savory dessert.
- Yield6 servings
- Prep time
- Cook time
- Total time
- In CategoryDessert, Snack
- Prepare a hot fire in a charcoal grill or preheat a gas or electric grill on high.
- In a small bowl, combine the currants, apple juice, and pepper.
- Allow the currants to marinate until ready to serve.
- Peel the pears and cut them in half lengthwise.
- Use a paring knife or melon baller to remove the core, leaving a gumball-sized-hole.
- Place in a shallow dish and brush all over with the melted butter.
- When ready to grill, brush the grill grate with vegetable oil.
- Place the pears, cut side up, in a single layer directly over the hot fire.
- Cook just until grill marks appear, about 3 minutes.
- Brush with any butter remaining in the dish, then turn and grill until tender but firm, about 3 to 4 minutes longer.
- Serve warm with a little of the apple juice soaked currants spooned over the top.
- Calories: 83
- Fat Content: 8.5g
- Cholesterol Content: 20mg
- Sodium Content: 55mg
- Carbohydrate Content: 2.1g
- Fiber Content: 0.3g
- Sugar Content: 1.5g
- Protein Content: .2g