- 4 Stemilt peaches, ripe but not mushy
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1-2 serrano peppers, finely diced (see note)
- 1 cup diced shallot or red onion
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, or to taste
- Optional: tortilla chips for serving
This salsa recipe offers a nice seasonal twist utilizing fresh Washington-grown peaches.
- Yield6-8 servings
- Prep time
- Cook time
- Total time
- CuisineSpanish, Mexican, American
- In CategorySide Dish, Appetizer
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Set a large bowl of ice water nearby.
- Use a paring knife to draw an X into the bottom of each peach, piercing the skin surface but avoiding the flesh.
- Using a slotted spoon, carefully add the peaches to the water, one at a time.
- Blanch for approximately 3 minutes, then transfer to the ice water to halt the cooking process.
- While the peaches are cooling, slice the tomatoes into 1/4 or 1/8 pieces, depending on how chunky you like your salsa.
- Once the peaches are cool enough to handle, peel them, starting from the skin separated at the X. If there are any stubborn areas that won’t detach, use a paring knife to help separate the skin.
- Dice the peaches into pieces that are similar in size or slightly larger than the tomatoes.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, peaches, lime juice, serrano peppers, shallots, cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Taste, and adjust seasonings if desired.
- Salsa will keep in the refrigerator, covered, for up to one week, though it will taste best if used within 3-4 days.
- Use more or less serrano pepper depending on desired heat level. You can also omit them entirely if you don’t like heat, or substitute half of a small green bell pepper for color. Adding some of the white pith and seeds increases the intensity of the heat. If you’re unable to locate serrano peppers, jalapenos can be substituted.
- I prefer using shallots over red onions in this recipe. The raw flavor is a bit milder.
Per Serving (Peach Salsa)
- Calories: 100
- Carbohydrate Content: 24g
- Fat Content: 0g
- Protein Content: 3g
- Sodium Content: 398mg
- Sugar Content: 15g