- Pear Simple Syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Stemilt Bartlett Pears, chopped (about 1.5 cups)
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- For the Cocktail:
- 2 ounces gin (or ¼ cup)
- 3/4 ounce lemon juice (or 1 1/2 tablespoons)
- 1 ounce pear simple syrup (or 2 tablespoons)
- 1 egg white (or 2 tablespoons aquafaba)*
- Soda water
- Optional: rosemary and pear slice for garnish
This cocktail is seasonal, festive and perfect for the fall, especially while pears are in season.
For the pear simple syrup:
- In a small saucepan, add water, sugar, pear, and rosemary over medium heat, and bring to a light boil, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and let sit until cools to room temperature (about 60 minutes).
- Strain syrup, discarding the rosemary and pear, or saving the pear for a topping for oatmeal, yogurt, pancakes, etc.
- Transfer the simple syrup into a glass jar and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
For the cocktail:
- In a cocktail shaker, add gin, lemon juice, pear simple syrup, and egg white (or aquafaba) and shake vigorously for about 15 seconds.
- Add ice to cocktail shaker and shake again until cold, about 30-60 seconds.
- Strain drink into glass and fill to the top with soda water.
- Optional: Garnish with a pear slice and sprig of rosemary.
- Consuming raw or undercooked eggs may increase your risk of foodborne illness.
- Aquafaba is the liquid leftover from canned chickpeas and is a vegan substitute for the egg white.
- Calories: 1015
- Fat Content: .04g
- Cholesterol Content: 0mg
- Sodium Content: 66mg
- Carbohydrate Content: 225.1g
- Fiber Content: .5g
- Sugar Content: 200.7g
- Protein Content: 3.8g