The latest recipe from Coryanne Ettiene of our Kitchen Council is perfect for any slow weekend mornings during the winter season. A quick peel and slice of a pear and mixing of an egg wash for French toast is all that you need to do to create this delicious and decadent breakfast. Enjoy!
There is something about those cold winter days that almost grab hold of you on the weekends and leave you lingering at the kitchen table. I love those mornings, those pajama, wool socks and hot cups of coffee mornings where no one moves, time stands still and smiles are dusted with cinnamon. Our favorite dish for mornings like these is a combination of roasted fruit, fresh cream, seasonal spices and piping hot French toast.
For winter, our favorite combination is a rustic roasted pear French toast. It has that sweet fall aroma of cinnamon, with the perfect hint of nutmeg that makes the whole thing have this early winter taste that you can’t resist. Simple enough to make that you can get your children involved, while also being elegant enough to serve at a holiday inspired brunch. You will love it!
- 4 Stemilt pears, peeled, halved lengthwise, cored (Bartlett or d’Anjou are good baking choices)
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice, optional but really nice
- 2 tbsp of white granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp of water
- 4 tbsp of unsalted butter
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of nutmeg
- 4 Medium eggs
- 1/4 Cup of Whole Milk
- Splash of whipping cream, optional but oh so fabulous
- 8 slices of whole wheat bread
This Rustic Roasted Pear French Toast is easy enough to get the kids involved in making it, but elegant enough to serve for a special holiday breakfast.
- Pre-heat your oven to 375F.
- Once heated place the pears cut side up on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Top with equal portions of butter, sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon, and then pour the water and lemon juice on the base of the tray. Roast them on the middle tray for 30 minutes, then turn them over and bathe them in the juices before roasting for a further 30 minutes.
- While the pears are roasting, prepare the French toast by adding the eggs, milk, spices and cream (optional) to a large batter bowl.
- Whisk gently to blend, and then dunk the bread into the batter taking care not to break the bread, and allowing enough time to fully soak up the batter.
- Once the slice is covered in batter, place it on a hot skillet, and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side, or until they are golden brown.
- Place the French toast on a plate, top with whipped cream and a roasted pear.
- Complete by sprinkling a dash of cinnamon across the plate and serve immediately.
- Calories: 298
- Fat Content: 12.5g
- Cholesterol Content: 130mg
- Sodium Content: 279mg
- Carbohydrate Content: 39.5g
- Fiber Content: 7.3g
- Sugar Content: 16.6g
- Protein Content: 9.5g