Fresh Produce Shopping Tips
To add more fruits and vegetables in your diet, you’ve got to shop for them. The following are helpful tips to make the most out of your produce purchase:
- Look for fresh fruits and vegetables when they are in season. Not only is there a chance that they’ll be on sale, but you’ll appreciate the fresh flavor.
- If you find ripening pears at home challenging, try purchasing pre-ripened Stemilt pears from your local store. Just like bananas and avocados, pears can be conditioned to be ripe and ready to eat the day you purchase them.
- When selecting apples, check the fruit for firmness. Nine times out of ten, a firm apple will be a crisp apple.
- Looking for a convenient snack item? Your local supermarket offers plenty of prepared items, including sliced apples, salad mixes, sliced carrots and more.
- Be sure to check the use-by date on all prepackaged fruits and veggies. It will help you plan how much time you have to use it.
- Because of their perishable nature, it’s good to have a plan in place for your fresh fruits and veggies before you buy them. You don’t want to end up throwing them away.
- When selecting cherries, look for firm, shiny fruit with green stems. These are all signs of freshness.
- Involve your kids in the shopping process by letting them pick out a fruit or veggie that they want to try. Chances are, if they picked it out, they will eat it!
- Don’t hesitate to ask a produce clerk if you have a question or want advice about what to try. They are very knowledgeable and happy to help.