- Apple Butter
- 2 pounds of apples (I used fuji), peeled, cored and roughly sliced
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of cloves
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- English Muffin Bread
- 1/4 cup (60 gm) lukewarm water
- 1 tbsp honey
- 4 tsp active dry yeast
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 cups milk, lukewarm
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
If this homemade bread and homemade apple butter doesn't taste like fall, we don't know what will.
- Yield16 servings
- Prep time
- Cook time
- Total time
- In CategorySide
- Directions for the Apple Butter:
- Combine the apples, maple syrup, cinnamon, cloves, and salt in a slow cooker and set to high for 4-5 hours, stirring hourly until the apples are soft and juices are starting to get sticky around the edges of the pot.
- Carefully remove the mixture from the slow cooker and puree in a blender or food processor until smooth. Return the apple mixture back to the slow cooker and cook for an additional 1-2 hours or until desired consistency is reached. Add the vanilla extract and taste for sweetness. Add an additional tablespoon of maple syrup if desired. Allow to cool prior to use.
- Directions for English Muffin Bread:
- Combine the water, honey, and yeast in a large bowl of a stand mixer. Allow the yeast to dissolve. Add in one cup of flour and the milk, stirring to combine. Add in the remaining flour, the salt, and the baking soda, and beat on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Lightly grease two 8”x4” loaf pans and dust them with cornmeal. Dump half of the thin dough into each prepared pan. Cover with a tea towel and allow to rise in a warm spot in the kitchen until the loaves dome an inch outside of the pan.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Once the loaves have risen, bake in the preheated oven about 20-22 minutes or until the tops are golden and sound hollow when tapped. Remove from oven and cool about 15 minutes in the pan. Remove from the pan and cool completely. Serve bread toasted and sliced.
- Calories: 1158