If you’re looking for a twist on a delicious classic, this sweet Apple Butter Hummus should do the trick. Easy, delicious and healthy all wrapped into one amazing dip.
- 3 pounds of baking apples (like Braeburn, Fuji, Mcintosh or Piñata®)
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp brown sugar (separated)
- 1 tsp + 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Juice from one small lemon
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
If you're looking for a twist on a delicious classic, this sweet Apple Butter Hummus should do the trick. Easy, delicious and healthy all wrapped into one amazing dip.
- Yield8-10 servings
- Prep time
- Cook time
- Total time
- In CategoryApples, Fall, Holiday, Kid-Friendly, Spreads & Sauces, Spring, Summer, Vegetarian, Winter.
- Peel, core and slice apples into pieces. Place in a slow cooker along with 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon. Toss well. Cook on low for six hours until the apples are soft.
- Transfer to a food processor or blender and puree. Pour back into the slow cooker and cook for 2 more hours until the mixture has thickened to your liking. Makes about 2 cups of apple butter.
- To make the hummus, add the apple butter, chickpeas, lemon juice, olive oil, 2 tbsp brown sugar and 1/8 tsp cinnamon to a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth. Garnish with a sprinkle of brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Serve with apple slices, pretzels, or crackers.