- 3 pounds of baking apples (like Braeburn, Fuji, Mcintosh or Piñata®)
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp brown sugar (separated)
- 1 tsp + 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Juice from one small lemon
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
If you're looking for a twist on a delicious classic, this sweet Apple Butter Hummus should do the trick. Easy, delicious and healthy all wrapped into one amazing dip.
CuisineMiddle Eastern, European, American
In CategoryAppetizer, Side dish
To make apple butter:
- Peel, core and slice apples into pieces. Place in a slow cooker along with 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon. Toss well.
- Cook on low for six hours until the apples are soft.
- Transfer to a food processor or blender and puree.
- Pour back into the slow cooker and cook for 2 more hours until the mixture has thickened to your liking.
- Makes about 2 cups of apple butter.
To make the hummus:
- Add the apple butter, chickpeas, lemon juice, olive oil, 2 tbsp brown sugar and 1/8 tsp cinnamon to a food processor or blender.
- Blend until smooth. Garnish with a sprinkle of brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Serve with apple slices, pretzels, or crackers.
- Calories: 294
- Fat Content: 5.2g
- Cholesterol Content: 0mg
- Sodium Content: 16mg
- Carbohydrate Content: 54.9g
- Fiber Content: 11.6g
- Sugar Content: 23.9g
- Protein Content: 10.7g