- 1 large Stemilt Apple, cored
- 3 medium carrots, peeled or scrubbed, ends trimmed
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups all purpose baking flour
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup sunflower seed oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
These muffins are the perfect balance of subtle sweetness, delicious flavor and delicate crumb.
- Yield18 servings
- Prep time
- Cook time
- Total time
- In CategoryBreakfast, Dessert
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Prep two, jumbo size, six cup muffin tins (or three, regular-size muffin tins) by wiping inside sides and top surface (not inside bottoms) with a cooking-oil sprayed paper towel. (This will prevent any overflow of muffin tops from sticking to pan).
- Line muffin tins with paper baking cups.
- Process cored apple and trimmed carrots in a food processor fitted with blade, until completely grated. (You should end up with approximately 3 cups grated product).
- Transfer to a mixing bowl (bowl 1) and add chopped pecans. Set aside.
- In a separate small bowl (bowl 2), soak raisins in orange juice and water for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Set aside and continue with remaining steps.
- In a separate large bowl (bowl 3), whisk flour, brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg, until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- In other bowl (bowl 4), whisk eggs and then add sunflower seed oil and vanilla extract.
- Mix well and then fold this mixture into flour mixture (bowl 3), until fully combined (without overworking). Set aside.
- When raisins (bowl 2) are finished soaking, add them, along with soaking juice, to apple-carrot mixture (bowl 1).
- Mix thoroughly, with a large spoon, to combine and then fold this mixture (bowl 1) into wet-flour mixture (bowl 3), until fully combined.
- Again, avoid over-mixing…or your muffins will lose some of their light, moist crumb.
- Generously fill each paper cup with approximately 1 ½ to 2 scoops of batter from bowl 3 (using ice cream scoop) if making jumbo size muffins; 1 scoop for regular size muffins. If desired, top with sprinkle of mixed raw sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake at 375 F for approximately 25 to 30 minutes, until golden, and inserted testing toothpick removes clean.
- Let muffins cool for approximately 10 minutes before serving.
- Calories: 279
- Fat Content: 17.3
- Protein Content: 3.1
- Carbohydrate Content: 36.2
- Fiber Content: 2.7
- Sugar Content: 21.2