- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- Tea leaves from 2 bags of chai teas
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour or a good quality gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1 Stemilt Granny Smith apple, peeled and finely shredded
This Apple Chai Monkey bread is made with Stemilt Granny Smith apples and can be eaten for breakfast or dessert!
- Yield5-7 servings
- Prep time
- Cook time
- Total time
- CuisineEuropean, American
- In CategoryDessert, Breakfast
To make the topping:
- Blend the sugar, chai tea, and cinnamon in a small bowl, or shake them together in a small lidded container. Set aside.
To make the dough:
- Stir together the water, vegetable oil, egg, salt, sugar, and yeast in a medium bowl.
- Add 1 cup of the flour and the shredded Stemilt Granny Smith apple, stirring to blend.
- Add the second cup of flour, stirring to make a cohesive dough. It may seem like there is not enough liquid, but there is, resist the urge to add more.
- Let the dough rest for 5 minutes.
- At this point, you will have a very sticky dough. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead the dough by folding the edges into the middle a few times, adding a sprinkle of flour when it starts to stick to your hands or the counter.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover it, and let the dough rise for 45 to 60 minutes until it's doubled in size.
- Lightly oil your hands then gently deflate the dough, and place it on a clean, lightly greased work surface; a silicone mat works well here.
- Divide it into pieces about 1 1/2" in diameter; you'll make 16 pieces.
- Lightly grease a bundt pan, 8" round cake pan, or 9" tube pan then sprinkle the inside of the pan with 2-3 tablespoons of the cinnamon chai sugar mixture.
- Dip each piece of dough in water, then roll it in the cinnamon chai sugar mixture to coat.
- Place the pieces in a single layer in the prepared pan. Sprinkle any remaining cinnamon chai sugar over the top.
- Cover the pan, and let the bread rise for 45 to 60 minutes until it's visibly puffy.
- Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350°.
- Uncover the pan, and bake the bread for 25 to 30 minutes, until it's golden brown and feels set.
- Remove the bread from the oven, and immediately turn the pan over onto a cooling rack.
- Lift the pan off the bread, and scrape any leftover topping in the pan onto the bread.
- Pull the bread apart to serve or slice into wedges like a cake. Serve warm, or at room temperature.
- Store any leftovers, well wrapped, at room temperature for a couple of days.
To shred the apples, either use a food processor fitted with the shredding disk or a box grater to shred by hand.
- Calories: 272
- Fat Content: 2.8g
- Cholesterol Content: 24.1mg
- Sodium Content: 324mg
- Carbohydrate Content: 57.9g
- Sugar Content: 30.5g
- Protein Content: 4.7g