- 1 Stemilt apple
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced thin
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 6 tbsp cold, unsalted butter
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2-4 tbsp ice water
- Salt and black pepper to taste
This whole wheat galette is filled with sweet apples from Stemilt.
In CategoryAppetizer, Dinner
Prepare the dough:
- Add flour, butter and salt to a food processor. Pulse on and off until the mixture is crumbly.
- Slowly add the water with the machine running just until the dough forms a ball. Chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Prepare the onions:
- Heat olive oil on low in a large skillet. Add the onions with a pinch of salt.
- Sweat the onions, stirring, until they begin to caramelize. Turn up the heat to medium-low.
- Once a brown glaze has formed on the bottom of the skillet, pour approximately 2-3 tablespoons of water into the pan to deglaze and use a spatula to scrape up the brown bits and stir them into the onions.
- Repeat this glazing and deglazing process until the onions have been thoroughly caramelized and taste both sweet and bitter, approximately 25-35 minutes. Use more or less water as needed.
- Set the caramelized onions aside.
Prepare the galette:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Roll the dough onto a lightly floured surface until very thin. Use a pizza cutter to make a circle with the dough that’s around 12 inches in diameter.
- Carefully transfer the rolled dough to a baking sheet covered in parchment. (The best way to do this is to gently roll the dough around the rolling pin, then unroll it on top of the baking sheet).
- Distribute the shredded cheddar cheese evenly onto the dough, leaving approximately 2-inches around the border.
- Top with the caramelized onions.
- Core the apple and slice it in half. Slice each half very thin, preferably using a mandolin on one of the thinnest settings.
- Fan the apple slices decoratively on top of the onions. Top with a light sprinkling of salt and pepper.
- Fold the excess dough on top of the ingredients in a circle, until you have a tightly formed tart.
- Bake the galette until the dough is firm, approximately 18-22 minutes.
- Calories: 274
- Fat Content: 17.7g
- Cholesterol Content: 45mg
- Sodium Content: 355mg
- Carbohydrate Content: 23.6g
- Fiber Content: 2g
- Sugar Content: 5.1g
- Protein Content: 6.2g