- 2-3 medium apples
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- zest of one medium lemon
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1-2 tbsp powdered sugar for dusting
This apple kuchen is so much easier than you’d think and really delicious. Wonderful as is, or served with vanilla ice cream.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-inch springform cake pan with baking spray or butter.
- Peel, quarter and core the apples. Slice each quarter into thin slices without cutting all the way through. (Try using a pair of chopsticks on either side of the apple quarter to prevent cutting through.) Set the apples aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or in a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar for two minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, lemon zest and juice and the vanilla. Beat for another 30 seconds.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- On low speed, alternate mixing the flour mixture and the milk into the butter mixture until combined.
- Spread the batter into the cake pan. Arrange the apple quarters into a flower shape on top of the batter.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack until completely cooled before removing from the pan.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.
- Use a combination of apples for best results. Try a mix of Fuji, Piñata, Pink Lady or Gala.
- If using a dark metal pan, be sure to thinly slice your apples and reduce baking time to 40 to 45 minutes.
- Calories: 257
- Protein Content: 4g
- Fat Content: 10g
- Carbohydrate Content: 38g
- Fiber Content: 2g
- Sodium Content: 253mg
- Sugar Content: 21g