- 4 apples
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 4 cups water
- 3 tbsp packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
A delicious oatmeal recipe to start the day!
- Yield4 servings
- Prep time
- Cook time
- Total time
- CuisineEuropean, American
- In CategoryBreakfast
- Shred 2 apples using the large holes of a box grater, leaving the core behind.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add oats and cook, stirring, until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes.
- Add water and the shredded apples; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the remaining 2 apples.
- After the oats have cooked for 10 minutes, stir in the chopped apples, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, cinnamon and salt; continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the apples are tender and the oatmeal is quite thick, 15 to 20 minutes more.
- Divide the oatmeal among 4 bowls. Add nuts, dried fruit, etc.
- Calories: 149
- Fat Content: 2g (sat 0g, poly 1g, mono 0g)
- Protein Content: 3g
- Carbohydrate Content: 33g
- Fiber Content: 6g
- Sugar Content: 15g
- Cholesterol Content: 0g
- Sodium Content: 157mg