Move over banana bread, there’s a new fruit bread in town. This Bosc Pear Bread with Maple Glaze is slightly sweet and flavored with hints of fall spices.
- 3 Stemilt Bosc Pears, peeled and cored, divided
- 2/3 cup golden brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp almond milk
- 1/8 tsp 100% pure maple syrup
- 1 egg white
- 1 generous cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Move over banana bread, there's a new fruit bread in town. This Bosc Pear Bread with Maple Glaze is slightly sweet and flavored with hints of fall spices.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Begin by making Almond Crunch:
- Whisk egg white in a small bowl, until light and frothy.
- Add sliced almonds, sugar and ¼ teaspoon cinnamon to egg white. Mix thoroughly, until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Transfer almond mixture to a baking sheet and spread out in a single layer.
- Bake 5 minutes; remove from oven and stir mixture (to break up a bit and dislodge from baking sheet, if sticking).
- Return to oven and bake another 3 minutes, until lightly golden.
- Remove and set aside to cool. Mixture will crisp once cooled.
- If desired, dust nut mixture lightly with additional cinnamon, to taste.
- Meanwhile, prep bread for baking:
- Shred 2 Stemilt Bosc pears (peeled and cored) in food processor, fitted with blade (you’ll need 1 ½ cups shredded pear); set aside.
- Cream sugar and butter at high speed in bowl of electric mixer (using paddle attachment); reduce speed and add eggs (one at a time) and shredded pear. Continue mixing, until pear is well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Reduce speed of mixer and slowly add dry mixture to creamed mixture, in batches.
- Add vanilla and continue to mix until all ingredients are fully incorporated. Remove bowl from mixer. Dice remaining peeled and cored pear (approximate ½” dice) and fold fruit into batter.
- Grease and flour loaf pan.
- Transfer batter to pan and smooth top out, as necessary, to even. Bake for approximately 45 to 60 minutes, until testing pick inserted into center of bread removes clean. Bread should be lightly golden. Transfer to wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, prep Maple Glaze:
- Whisk powdered sugar, maple syrup and almond milk, until sugar is completely dissolved. Add additional almond milk, as needed, to thin glaze. Set aside.
- Once bread has cooled, remove from pan, drizzle with Maple Glaze and sprinkle with Almond Crunch. Serve immediately. Keeps well, refrigerated.
- Calories: 284
- Fat Content: 16
- Protein Content: 4.7
- Carbohydrate Content: 38.4
- Fiber Content: 3.6
- Sugar Content: 32.5