- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 large white onions, peeled, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced (about 1 1/2 tsp)
- 4 cups 100% fresh-pressed, pasteurized apple cider
- 2 - 10 1/2-oz cans double strength beef broth
- 1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 cup unpeeled, tart, green or red apples, cut into cubes
- Blue Cheese Croutons
A delicious fall and wintertime soup recipe featuring fresh apples and onions.
In CategoryDinner, Lunch
- Melt butter in large heavy saucepan.
- Add onions and cook over medium heat for 20 to 25 minutes or until caramelized, stirring and scraping bottom of pan often.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Slowly and carefully pour apple cider into saucepan with onion mixture. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and gently boil over medium-high heat about 15 minutes or until reduced by about half.
- Stir beef broth and Worcestershire sauce into apple mixture. Bring to a simmer.
- Add apple; gently simmer for 1 to 2 minutes or until apples are nearly tender. Remove from heat.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls; top with blue cheese toasts or serve toasts alongside the soup.
Blue Cheese Croutons:
- Lightly stir together 2 ounces finely crumbled blue cheese (about 1/4 cup) and 1 tablespoon softened butter.
- Spread mixture evenly on 12 lightly toasted baguette slices.
- Broil under oven broiler or toast in toaster oven about 1 minute or until cheese is bubbly. Makes 12 toasts.
- Calories: 297
- Fat Content: 9.9g
- Cholesterol Content: 24mg
- Sodium Content: 729mg
- Carbohydrate Content: 49.7g
- Fiber Content: 3.7g
- Sugar Content: 39.3g
- Protein Content: 3.5g