- 5 cups Stemilt cherries
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (or more to taste)
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice (approximately 1 large lemon)
- Optional: 1/8 tsp pure almond extract
To make a delicious cherry pie, you must have a delicious cherry filling.
- Yield9 servings
- Prep time
- Cook time
- Total time
- In CategoryDessert
- Thoroughly wash and pick through the cherries. Carefully remove and discard the pits and stems.
- Using kitchen gloves and a cherry pitter will make this process much faster and less messy.
- Place the cherries into a large heavy bottom saucepan or Dutch oven, along with the cornstarch, granulated sugar, water, salt, and lemon juice. Stir to coat the cherries evenly.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring periodically.
- Once the liquid comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for approximately 10 minutes while stirring frequently.
- Once the cherries have softened and the mixture has thickened, remove from the heat and stir in the almond extract, if using.
- Allow to cool completely to room temperature before using as a pie filling, or store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Calories: 100
- Fat Content: 0.3g
- Cholesterol Content: 0mg
- Sodium Content: 32mg
- Carbohydrate Content: 25.5g
- Fiber Content: 1.6g
- Sugar Content: 18.5g
- Protein Content: 1g