- 2 cups of Stemilt’s dark-sweet cherries, pitted and halved
- 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1lb. store-bought puff pastry dough, thawed
- All-purpose flour for rolling
- 1 egg yolk mixed with ½ teaspoon water
- Turbinado sugar
Cherry turnovers are the perfect dessert or summer brunch recipe. Use fresh, sweet cherries in the summer to make this recipe even more delicious!
In CategoryDessert, Breakfast
- In a medium saucepan, bring the cherries, sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon and cornstarch to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Continue to boil for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Refrigerate to cool completely.
- On a heavily floured surface, roll out the puff pastry into a 15-inch square.
- Using a pastry wheel, pizza cutter or very sharp knife, cut the square into 9 five-inch squares.
- Place about 2 tablespoons of the cooled filling just off center of each square.
- Fold the squares over corner-to-corner to form a triangle.
- Seal the edges by pressing around the turnover with a fork. Carefully place each turnover on to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 375.
- Brush the tops of each turnover with the egg wash and sprinkle with a bit of turbinado sugar.
- Bake the turnovers for 20 to 25 minutes or until they are puffed and golden.
- Remove and cool on a wire rack for at least 15 minutes. Serve warm.
- Calories: 339
- Fat Content: 13g
- Protein Content: 5g
- Carbohydrate Content: 47g
- Sugar Content: 31g
- Sodium Content: 188mg