- 1 pound pitted, stemmed Stemilt cherries
- 3 to 4 cups cubed seedless watermelon (approximately 1/2 small watermelon)
- 1 cup ice
- 2 basil leaves, torn into quarters
- 2 tsp lime zest
- Simple syrup, if desired
- Seltzer water, club soda, or mineral water*
Tangy and delicious twist on a spritzer.
Yieldone 20 to 30 ounce servings
As preferred, depending on desired level of minerality:
- Add cherries, watermelon and ice to pitcher of high-speed electric blender (one suitable for crushing ice and handling firm textures).
- Blend on high (or use “smoothie” option, if applicable) for approximately 1 minute, or until pre-set time has expired. (If necessary, stop machine intermittently to scrape down sides or press ingredients down with a long-handled wooden spoon to remove any air pockets that might impede blending.)
- Add torn basil leaves and lime zest, pulse just to combine.
- Use mixer base immediately or store in airtight container in refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- If not used immediately, ingredients may separate and require a little shake to combine. (If you prefer, this mixer base can be strained prior to use/storage to remove pulpiness.)
To mix a Spritzer:
- Pour approximately ½- to 1-cup of mixer base (as preferred) into an 8-ounce glass (with or without ice), top with Seltzer water and serve immediately.
Note: Depending on your desired level of sweetness, you can add a drizzle of simple syrup (see basic recipe below) to your drink.
Simple Syrup (equal parts water and sugar) 1 cup granulated sugar 1 cup water
- Add water and sugar to a saucepan placed over medium-high heat.
- Cook, stirring intermittently, until sugar has completely dissolved.
- Cool completely. Store in refrigerator.
- Calories: 73
- Fat Content: 0.1g
- Protein Content: 1.1g
- Carbohydrate Content: 18.7g
- Fiber Content: 1.9g
- Sugar Content: 15.3g
- Cholesterol Content: 0mg
- Sodium Content: 1.3mg