- 3/4 lb (2-3 cups) of cooked chicken meat, coarsely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4-6 green olives, pitted and minced
- 1/4 cup of chopped red onion
- 1/2 to a whole apple, cored and chopped
- 1/3 head of iceberg head lettuce, sliced and chopped
- 5 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp plum preserves, or any sweet berry preserve (or a lesser amount of honey)
- 2 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
Apples are a sweet addition to this hearty chicken salad recipe. Recipe and photo reprinted by permission from SimplyRecipes.com.
- Yield4 servings
- Prep time
- Cook time
- Total time
- In CategoryLunch, Side dishes,
- Prep all of the salad ingredients and toss them together in a large bowl.
- Prepare the chicken salad dressing in a separate smaller bowl.
- Mix together the mayonnaise, preserves, and lemon juice.
- Taste for the proper balance of sweetness and acidity.
- The salad dressing should not be too sweet nor too sour.
- Add more preserves or lemon juice until you have reached the balance you want.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Gently stir the dressing in with the chicken salad ingredients.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Calories: 277
- Fat Content: 13.5g
- Cholesterol Content: 80mg
- Sodium Content: 346mg
- Carbohydrate Content: 13.3g
- Fiber Content: 1.5g
- Sugar Content: 7.7g
- Protein Content: 25.2g