This hearty fall salad’s got three key satisfying nutrients: protein, fiber, and fat. Serve it in a large bowl or pack it up as healthy lunches for the whole week.
There’s a classic Seinfeld episode in which all Elaine wants is a “big salad.” I can relate. I frequently pull together a main dish salad for lunch or dinner and recommend them to anyone trying to get more veggies into their life. But a “big salad” isn’t a good solution if you’re hungry again an hour later and rummaging through the cabinets. That’s why as a dietitian, I always recommend adding ingredients to green salads that contain three key satisfying nutrients: protein, fiber and fat. This hearty fall salad’s got all three.
One of my favorite ways to adding staying power to salads is to toss greens with whole grains. Farro is my go-to grain lately for salads because it’s nutty, chewy, and substantial, and it’s rich in both protein and fiber. A hearty fall veggie like sweet potatoes adds even more fiber and a gorgeous autumn color. I used slices of the new brand of apple from Stemilt called RaveTM, which are extra-juicy and ideal for snacking or adding to salads. Walnuts and olive oil offer a dose of filling and heart-healthy fats.
Serve this cold farro salad in a large serving bowl or pack it up as healthy lunches for the whole week: Just layer the ingredients, ending with the greens on top, in 1-quart glass jars, and pack the dressing separately in a leak-proof container.
[video width="720" height="720" mp4="https://www.stemilt.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Apple-Farro-Salad.mp4"][/video]
Check out the recipe below and let us know what you think in the comments!
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 cups cooked farro, chilled
- 1 Stemilt Rave apple, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 4 tbsp soft cheese (such as gorgonzola or blue)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp grainy mustard
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil + 2 tsp (divided)
- 1 pinch each salt and pepper
Recipe: Apple, Sweet Potato & Farro Salad
Rate this recipe:
- Yield4-6 servings
- Prep time
- Cook time
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Toss sweet potato cubes with the 2 teaspoons of olive oil and spread onto the sheet. Roast for 20 minutes or until tender and lightly browned. Set aside.
3. In a small jar, add the dressing ingredients and shake well to combine.
4. In a large serving bowl, combine greens, sweet potatoes, farro, walnuts, apple, and cheese. If serving immediately, drizzle dressing onto salad and toss well to combine.