- 1-2 round disks of pie dough, rolled out and lightly dusted with flour
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 3 pounds of Golden Delicious apples, cored, peeled and sliced evenly
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup of white granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp of ground all spice
- 1/4 tsp of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon, smoked if you have it
- 1/2 cup of light brown or light Muscovado sugar
- 6 tbsp of unsalted butter, chilled and diced
This is an excellent base recipe for everyone's favorite classic dessert, Dutch Apple Pie.
- Arrange your dough across the bottom of your pie dish and decorate the edges. (For this recipe I used a small round pastry cutter to cut out circles of dough that I placed around the edges.)
- In a large bowl, add the ingredients for the topping and then use your fingers to massage them together until they have the consistency of wet sand. Once blended, allow to rest on the counter while you prepare the apples.
- Toss your peeled, cored and sliced apples into a large bowl and lightly fold in the lemon juice to prevent browning.
- In a large pan, melt the butter on medium low heat. Once the butter has melted, and before it browns, add the white granulated sugar and stir until you have a light syrup.
- Then add the apples to the pan and delicately cook on medium heat until they are tender, 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure even cooking.
- Pour your apples into the pie dish and arrange evenly, taking care to remove any air gaps that might have formed when pouring in the apple slices.
- Blanket the apples with the topping, using your fingers to fill in any gaps between the apples and the topping.
- Place the pie dish on a preheated baking sheet inside a preheated oven set to 375F. (The preheated baking sheet allows the heat to rest against the bottom of the pie dish for perfectly baked dough).
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the edges of your pie are golden brown.
- Calories: 187
- Fat Content: 12.6g
- Cholesterol Content: 25mg
- Sodium Content: 126mg
- Carbohydrate Content: 20.1g
- Fiber Content: 1.5g
- Sugar Content: 14.4g
- Protein Content: 0.3g