Stemilt’s d’Anjou pears are a perfect choice for this salad.
Rate This Recipe
- 2 Stemilt d’Anjou pears, cored and sliced into thin wedges (see Procedure re: adding to orange juice to preserve freshness)
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (about 1 large navel orange), divided
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 Fuyu persimmons, tops removed, peeled, sliced into half-moons (to showcase flesh)
- 4 to 5 ounces baby arugula greens
- Approximately 20 walnut halves
- 2 tbsp champagne vinegar
- 1 to 1 1/2 tsp honey, to taste
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Scant pinch kosher salt, to taste
In a small bowl, briskly whisk 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice, champagne vinegar and honey, until honey is completely incorporated. Whisk in olive oil until incorporated and season with salt. Set aside.
Prep pears and place them in a bowl with remaining orange juice.
Meanwhile, place walnuts in a skillet over medium high heat to toast for about 30 to 45 seconds (watching them closely so as not to burn them). Remove from heat and set aside.
To remove pomegranate seeds from fruit, simply score skin of pomegranate, crosswise through middle of fruit with a sharp knife, until you hit the membrane. The idea is to get through the leathery skin of the fruit, not through the fleshy interior. Using your fingers, carefully pry the two sides of fruit apart. Then place one half, fruit-side down, in the palm of your hand held over a bowl and gently (but firmly) rap the exterior of the fruit with a wooden spoon. The seeds will fall into your palm and into the bowl like magic. Not all out? Keep rapping until they are. Repeat with remaining halve and set seeds aside.
Prep persimmons and set aside.
Place arugula in a large bowl and lightly dress with vinaigrette, to taste. Portion greens out onto plates. Arrange 4 to 6 slices of pear atop each plate of greens. Nestle 2 to 3 slices of persimmon on each plate, then sprinkle with a tablespoon or two of fresh pomegranate seeds and and 5 walnut halves. Serve immediately.
Calories: 273.4, Fat Content: 14.0 g, Saturated Fat Content: 1 g, Protein Content: 3.8 g, Carbohydrate Content: 37.8 g, Fiber Content: 6.6 g, Sugar Content: 14.1 g, Cholesterol Content: 0 g, Sodium Content: 43.4 mg.