- 2 cups fresh cherries stems removed, pitted and halved
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Juice from one lemon
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cups gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free instant oats (sometimes labeled quick oats)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup room temperature butter
These Gluten-Free Cherry Oat Bars are rich and decadent with a crisp, buttery crumb that will have you making seconds in no time.
- Yield9 large or 16 small servings
- Prep time
- Cook time
- Total time
- In CategoryDessert, Snacks, Breakfast
To make the cherry filling:
- Prepare the cherry filling by adding halved, pitted cherries to a small saucepan, stir in the water, sugar, lemon juice, and cornstarch.
- Bring the mixture just to a boil over medium heat, as soon as you see the first bubbles form and start to pop, reduce the heat to a low simmer and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Using the back of the spoon to break up the cherries.
- Once thickened remove the cherry filling from the heat and let it cool to room temperature. (The filling can be made up to 3 days in advance and stored in the refrigerator until you are ready to make the bars.)
To make the bars
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a 9×9-inch square pan with cooking spray.
- Line the pan with parchment paper being sure to leave enough paper overhanging on each side of the pan so that you can use them as handles later to remove the bars from the baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the gluten-free all-purpose flour, instant and rolled oats, brown sugar, baking powder, and kosher salt.
- Use your hands to mix the dry ingredients together. Once completely combined add the softened butter to the bowl then use a pastry blender or your hands work the mixture into crumbs/pea-sized pieces. The mixture will become soft and crumbly and will clump together easily when squeezed together in your hand.
- Add 2/3 of the crumb mixture to the prepared pan and firmly pat down into an even layer.
- Spread the cherry filling evenly over the top. Sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture evenly over the top of the cherries. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, remove the bars from the pan by lifting on the parchment paper “handles”.
- Place onto a flat surface and cut the bars into the desired sized squares. Store at room temperature or in the fridge.
- Calories: 223
- Fat Content: 1g
- Cholesterol Content: 1mg
- Sodium Content: 200mg
- Carbohydrate Content: 51g
- Fiber Content: 2.7g
- Sugar Content: 20.9g
- Protein Content: 3g