- Golden Delicious Applesauce
- 6 medium Stemilt Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, chopped into smaller chunks
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Potato Pancakes
- 4 medium sized russet potatoes
- 1 cup yellow onion, shredded
- 2/3 cup gluten-free all purpose flour
- 3 flax eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- About 1 cup avocado oil to fry
- Chopped chives to serve
These potato pancakes are easy to make thanks to requiring minimal ingredients! They can be made gluten-free and vegan and taste wonderful alongside homemade Golden Delicious applesauce.
- Yield4 Cups servings
- Prep time
- Cook time
- Total time
- In CategoryDinner
To make the applesauce:
- Place the peeled, cored, quartered and chopped apples in a large pot. Add 1/2 cup of water, lemon juice, maple syrup (if using), cinnamon, and salt.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Once simmering, cover and reduce the heat to low. Maintain a low simmer for 30 minutes or until the apples are completely soft and cooked through and the liquid is absorbed.
- Once fully cooked, remove from heat.
- Mash the apples directly in the pot using a potato masher for chunky applesauce. For smooth applesauce, add the apples to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth or use a hand-held immersion blender and blend directly in the pot.
To make the potato pancakes:
- Peel the potatoes with a vegetable peeler.
- Use a box grater or a shredder attachment of your processor to grate the potatoes.
- Transfer into a bowl or colander that is prepared with a clean dish towel laid into it.
- Add the grated potatoes in the center of the towel. Squeeze the potatoes and drain the excess liquid.
- Finely grate the onion into a large bowl. Add the potato, flour, salt, and pepper, stir to combine.
- Prepare a large plate dusted with flour.
- With slightly wet hands, take two heaping tablespoons of the mixture and form it into a patty.
- Put it on a plate and repeat with the rest of the mixture. Dust them with a bit of flour, and press with your fingers until it’s flat.
- In a large frying pan or skillet over medium heat, heat avocado oil.
- Use a spatula to transfer the pancakes to the pan and press them down to make them flat. Don’t overcrowd the pan.
- Cook them for up to 5 minutes per side, or until golden brown and crispy.
- To keep them hot before serving, put them in the warm oven (70 °C/160 °F), while you fry the next batch.
- Calories: 519
- Fat Content: 13.6g
- Cholesterol Content: 0mg
- Sodium Content: 460mg
- Carbohydrate Content: 101.2g
- Fiber Content: 18.9g
- Sugar Content: 40.8g
- Protein Content: 9.2g