- Homemade pie crust
- 5 - 6 Stemilt apples, cored, peeled, and sliced into 1/2 inch slices (approx. 8 - 10 cups total)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten with 1 tbsp milk
- coarse sugar for sprinkling
It's never too late to play with spices and flavors, this homemade apple pie has a fun twist to it!
- Yield9 servings
- Prep time
- Cook time
- Total time
- In CategoryDessert
- Prepare pie crust, and chill.
Make the filling and assemble:
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C).
- In a large bowl using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir the apples, lemon juice, flour, all of the spices, sugar, and vanilla extract together until thoroughly combined.
- Set filling aside as the oven preheats; this time allows the apples to begin letting off their juice.
- On a floured work surface, roll out one of the discs of chilled dough (keep the other one in the refrigerator).
- Turn the dough about a quarter turn after every few rolls until you have a circle 12 inches in diameter.
- Carefully place the dough into a 9x2 inch pie dish. Tuck it in with your fingers, making sure it is smooth.
- Spoon the filling into the crust and discard some of the leftover juices in the bottom of the bowl. Dot the pieces of butter on top of the filling.
- Remove the other disc of chilled pie dough from the refrigerator. Roll the dough into a circle that is 12 inches diameter.
- Carefully lay the dough over the filling. Use a small paring knife to trim off excess dough from the sides.
- Cut slits in the top to form steam vents. Crimp the edges to seal.
- Lightly brush the top of the pie crust with the egg/milk mixture. Sprinkle the top with coarse sugar.
- Place the pie onto a large baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Keeping the pie in the oven, turn the temperature down to 375°F (190°C) and bake for an additional 30-35 minutes.
- After the first 20 minutes of bake time, I place a pie crust shield on top of the pie to prevent the edges from browning too quickly.
- Allow the pie to cool for 3 full hours at room temperature before serving. This time allows the filling to thicken up.
- Cover pie leftovers tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- The pie crust dough can also be prepared ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- To make 1 day in advance-- after it cools, cover tightly and keep at room temperature.
- Prepared filling can be frozen up to 3 months, thaw overnight in the refrigerator before using.
- Baked pie freezes well for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature before serving.
- Calories: 275
- Fat Content: 8.8g
- Cholesterol Content: 24mg
- Sodium Content: 171mg
- Carbohydrate Content: 49.2g
- Fiber Content: 3.9g
- Sugar Content: 34.4g
- Protein Content: 2.6g