- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 tsp gray salt (or any color fine-grained salt)
This sweet and salty caramel sauce makes the perfect holiday gift.
- Add sugar and water to a saucepan over medium heat. Allow sugar to dissolve in water.
- Turn heat up to medium-high and bring mixture to a boil. Allow it to boil until the sugar caramelizes, or turns brown, anywhere from 5-10 minutes. Do not stir as it is boiling, however you can brush any sugar that appears on the side of the pan down with a pastry brush.
- Once brown, remove the saucepan from the heat, slowly add in cream, and then the butter. Mix until smooth.
- Add the salt, tasting along the way until you reach the level of sweet-salty that you want.
- Store in refrigerator for up to two weeks.
- Calories: 263
- Fat Content: 13.6g
- Cholesterol Content: 38mg
- Sodium Content: 64mg
- Carbohydrate Content: 37.4g
- Fiber Content: 0.2g
- Sugar Content: 35.4g
- Protein Content: 0.6g