Created for Stemilt by Laura Scherb from @pageandplatestudio
- 3 Stemilt Bartlett pears, cored and sliced into fans
- 1 pie crust, defrosted (or Puff Pastry)
- 1 cup of hazelnut flour, plus extra for dusting
- 3/4 cups of granulated sugar, divided, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of hazelnut liqueur such as Frangelico
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cloves
- 1 vanilla bean, split
Stemilt pears are the perfect filling for a galette. They’re firm enough to hold their shape, but delicious enough to add flavor and texture to the galette without needing much doctoring up.
Yield6-8 Servings servings
- Preheat the oven to 425, and line a sheet tray with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Roll out the pie crust until ⅛ inch thin (about 12 inches in diameter), using hazelnut flour to dust work surface and prevent sticking if needed, then transfer to the sheet tray and set aside.
- Make the hazelnut glaze: in a saucepan, combine ½ cup of granulated sugar, water, hazelnut liqueur, the cinnamon stick, cloves, and vanilla bean. Bring to a boil, then leave over medium-low heat to reduce while you assemble the galette. Do not let burn.
- Make the hazelnut frangipane: in a food processor, combine the hazelnut flour, remaining granulated sugar, egg, and vanilla extract. Blitz until smooth, then spread evenly over the pie crust, leaving 1 ½ inches on the edge uncovered.
- Place pear slices on top of the frangipane in alternating patterns, covering most of the top. Use a bench scraper to fold up the edges, then sprinkle with sugar.
- Using a pastry brush, glaze the pears with the hazelnut syrup. Do not use all of the syrup as it will make your galette soggy.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until frangipane is puffed, golden, and fragrant and the pie crust is a dark golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly.
- Before serving, glaze pears again with hazelnut syrup, then serve, warm, with more syrup and vanilla ice cream on the side.
- Calories: 422
- Fat Content: 21.5g
- Cholesterol Content: 154.9mg
- Sodium Content: 95.8g
- Carbohydrate Content: 50.1g
- Fiber Content: 3.6g
- Sugar Content: 32.2g
- Protein Content: 10g