- 4 tbsp shortening
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup fresh pear puree
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 scant tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups old fashioned "quick" oats
- 1/2 cup mini white chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped unsalted, roasted almonds
- 1/2 cup diced, peeled and cored pear
If “healthy decadence” looked like a cookie, than this delightfully moist and subtly sweet little treat might be it.
In CategoryDessert, Snacks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- To make pear purée: Place 2 medium pears (skin on, cores and stems removed) in pitcher of electric blender and blend on “high” (“liquefy,” or similar setting) until completely smooth, about 1 minute. Measure out 1 cup and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream shortening and sugar on medium low, until completely smooth.
- Add egg, mix until well incorporated; add pear purée and vanilla and continue mixing until just incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add to creamed mixture. Mix on medium low until dry ingredients are completely incorporated.
- Increase speed to medium or medium high for a few beats. Reduce speed to medium low again and add oats, mix until oats are incorporated.
- Add white chocolate chips and almonds, mix on low until just run through batter.
- Remove bowl from mixer and add diced pear, fold in gently to combine.
- Drop teaspoons of batter onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Press each dollop of batter with the back of a fork (coated with canola oil so as not to stick to batter) to flatten cookie to an approximate 2-inch round.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden and slightly crisp at edges.
Cookies will keep for up to two days in an airtight container; they have a nice crisp edge when first out of the oven, yet retain a delicious moistness regardless of when they are enjoyed.
- Calories: 89
- Fat Content: 3.6
- Protein Content: 1.7
- Carbohydrate Content: 11.3
- Fiber Content: 1.3
- Sugar Content: 5.2