- 3 Stemilt SweeTango apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 6 to 7 medium parsnips, trimmed, peeled and diced
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 to 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5 strips turkey bacon, thinly sliced
- 6 to 8 large kale leaves, ribs removed, thinly sliced
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- pinch kosher salt, to taste
This Roasted Apple and Parsnip Soup has a subtle caramelized flavor, and is the perfect dish for autumn.
Yield10 servings servings
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place diced parsnips and onions on a large baking pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Toss to combine, then spread mixture to single layer on pan. Roast in oven for approximately 20 minutes.
- Then add diced apples to mixture, toss lightly, and return to oven to roast an additional 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add sliced turkey bacon and cook for approximately 5 to 8 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Add sliced kale to skillet, season with garlic. Toss intermittently until kale is somewhat wilted through, approximately 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add pinch of kosher salt, to taste (turkey bacon may be enough salt, to taste, so test kale prior to seasoning). Remove from heat and set aside.
To prepare soup,
- Blend broth and cooled, roasted veggies/apples together, in batches, in high speed blender.
- Transfer each batch to large pot, until all mixture has been puréed. Add additional broth to soup, as necessary, for desired consistency. (Reserve remaining broth to add for future servings, as needed.)
- Warm puréed soup through and serve topped with kale-turkey bacon mixture, as preferred.
- Calories: 180.5
- Fat Content: 6.0
- Protein Content: 3.4
- Carbohydrate Content: 30.1
- Fiber Content: 6.0
- Sugar Content: 12.9g