- 1 cup of Stemilt Sweetango Apple (approx 1 apple)
- 1 cup Sweet Potato (approx. 1 small potato)
- 1/2 cup White Onion (approx 1/2 medium size onion)
- 3/4 cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 2 Premade Pie Crusts
- 2 tbsp Butter, separated in 1 tbsp each
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt;
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1 Egg
Make your holiday table extravagant with these savory Apple & Sweet Potato mini pies
- Yield14 pies servings
- Prep time
- Cook time
- Total time
- In CategoryAppetizers, Dinner
Prep the Filling:
- Begin by peeling both the Stemilt Sweetango Apple and sweet potato. Then, core the Stemilt Sweetango Apple and cut it into bite-sized pieces.
- Next, cut the sweet potato into bite-sized pieces as well. Bring 4 cups of water to a boil then add the cut up Stemilt Sweetango Apples and sweet potatoes into the water. Allow both to boil until soft, approximately 10-13 minutes.
- While the Stemilt Sweetango Apples and sweet potato pieces are boiling, begin making the caramelized onion. Slice the onion thinly, approx ⅜ inch wide, and evenly.
- Add 1 tbsp butter to a skillet over medium-low heat. Once the butter has melted, add in the onions, coating them in the butter.
- Continue to stir until the onions become caramelized. This can take up to 20 minutes. If you notice the onions are burning, add 1 tbsp of water, stir then lower the heat.
- Once the Stemilt Sweetango Apples and sweet potato pieces are soft, drain them from the water then place them into a large bowl.
- Using a fork, mash them until they are completely smooth. Add in 1 tbsp of butter, cheddar, garlic powder, salt, pepper and caramelized onions. Mix until all ingredients are combined.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and place parchment paper on a baking sheet.
Baking the Pies:
- Sprinkle flour on a clean, dry surface, then roll the premade pie crusts out.
- Using a 3 inch cookie cutter, cut the pie crust into small circles to create the mini pie shells. Repeat until there are 28 pie shells.
- You will likely need to roll the dough scrap into a ball then re-roll the dough with a rolling pie in order to get all 28 shells.
- Place the egg into a bowl and whisk it until it is mixed to make egg wash.
- Place a pie shell onto the parchment paper and fill it with 1 ½ tbsp of pie filling. Then, place another pie shell directly on top of the filling.
- Using a fork, mesh together the edges of the pie shells to close the pie. Brush the top with egg wash then slit a small vent on the top pie crust to create a vent.
- Continue to do so with all additional pie shells, placing the mini pies approximately 1 inch from one another.
- Bake for 27-30 minutes, until the tops of the mini pie bites are golden brown.