- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter (or vegan sticks), divided
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 large Stemilt apples, peeled, cored, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice, divided
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
- chopped pecans, to top (optional)
A beautiful dessert that is as tasty as it looks.
- Yield8 servings
- Prep time
- Cook time
- Total time
- In CategoryDessert
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat brown sugar and 3/4 stick butter in a small pot set over medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until completely melted. Add cinnamon to mixture and heat through. Set aside.
- Slice apples and transfer to a bowl. Add 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice to fruit and mix through. Set aside.
- Whisk (or sift) flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Set aside
- In another bowl, mix 3/4 stick softened butter, until creamy and smooth. Add granulated sugar and mix until well incorporated.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing thoroughly after each. Add vanilla and 1 tablespoon orange juice and continue mixing until combined. Batter should be slightly thick but pliable.
- Warm brown sugar mixture on stovetop, if needed, to loosen.
- Pour mixture into the bottom of a standard 9-inch cake pan. Tilt pan to spread mixture to edges.
- Arrange sliced apples atop brown sugar mixture, to cover. Drop mounds of batter over top of apples and carefully spread to edge of pan to seal perimeter and cover apples.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until golden (test doneness with toothpick inserted in center of cake. If it comes out clean it’s done).
- Transfer cake to cooling rack for at least 30 minutes before inverting onto a serving platter. (Once cake is transferred to rack to cool, you can run a knife around the outside edge to loosen. This will help in removing cake from pan later.)
- Once cooled and inverted, slice and serve. Dust with powder sugar and/or chopped pecans, if preferred.
- Calories: 57.6 mg
- Fat Content: 18.4 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Carbohydrate Content: 72.5 g
- Fiber Content: 1.8 g
- Sugar Content: 53.9 g
- Cholesterol Content: 93.1 mg
- Sodium Content: 215.2 mg