Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with an authentic Irish dish, Apple Amber. Pie crust filled with sweet apple filling and topped with an toasted meringue.
- 1/2 batch Simply Perfect Pie Crust*
- 8 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and grated
- 1/4 cup water
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 6 large egg whites
Celebrate St. Patrick's Day with an authentic Irish dish, Apple Amber. Pie crust filled with sweet apple filling and topped with an toasted meringue.
- Yield8 servings
- Prep time
- Cook time
- Total time
- In Categorydessert
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll out the pie dough to a few inches larger than your pie dish.
- Transfer the dough to the pie dish, trim off any excess, and crimp the edge.
- Par-bake the pie crust for 10 minutes.
- Place the grated apples and water in a large pot, cover, and cook over medium-low heat until tender (about 15 minutes).
- Whisk the yolks, 3/4 cup of the sugar, and lemon juice together in a small bowl, and stir the mixture into the cooked apples (off the heat).
- Transfer the apple filling to the prepared crust, and bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until the filling is set and the edges of the crust are golden.
- Cool completely.
- Whip the egg whites and remaining 1/4 cup of sugar together until the meringue holds stiff peaks.
- Spoon the meringue onto the cooled pie and brown with a brulee torch, or under the broiler for 3 to 5 minutes.