- Crust Ingredients
- 6 tbsp vegetable shortening or vegan butter
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp of water
- 1 tbsp of granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp of salt
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- Filling Ingredients
- 4 ripe Stemilt Anjou pears, sliced
- 3/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp of all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil or vegan butter
This Vegan Pear Tart is sweet and tender and would make the perfect addition to any dessert lineup.
- Yield8 servings
- Prep time
- Cook time
- Total time
- In CategoryDessert
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Combine the vegetable shortening, vegetable oil, water, granulated sugar, and salt in an ovenproof bowl.
- Place the bowl into the oven and heat for 10 minutes until all of the ingredients have melted. Be careful when removing the bowl from the oven. The oil will sputter and pop.
- Remove the bowl from the oven and stir in the flour until you have a ball. Let the dough cool until you are able to touch it. Turn the oven up to 425ºF.
- When the dough is cool, press it into an 8” tart pan. Make sure to press the dough flat to the bottom of the pan and up the sides. Place the tart shell into the freezer for 10 minutes.
- While the tart is freezing, peel and core the pears. Cut the pears into thin slices.
- In a small bowl, combine a 1/2 cup of granulated sugar, 2 tbsp of flour, and 2 tbsp of coconut oil.
- Remove the tart shell from the freezer. Gently align the pears in the tart shell in a decorative manner. You can get really creative during this process.
- Sprinkle the sugar mixture on top.
- Place the tart into the oven and bake for 45 minutes. You can put a baking sheet on the bottom rack of the oven to catch any pear juices that may bubble over.
- The tart is done when the pears are soft, the tart shell light brown and crisp, and the juices are bubbling. Remove from the oven and let cool. This will allow the juices to get thicken.
Notes: The tart can be stored in the fridge for a week, but it’s best eaten within a few days.
- Calories: 350
- Fat Content: 15.5g
- Carbohydrate Content: 53g
- Protein Content: 2g
- Fiber Content: 3.2g
- Sugar Content: 35g
- Sodium Content: 41mg