- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 Stemilt Piñata apples, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 - 15 oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup raw unsalted cashews
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tbsp barbecue sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup of cooked short grain brown rice
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tsp salted butter
- 4 burger buns, sliced and toasted
- 4 slices Havarti cheese
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 4 butter lettuce leaves
This is hands down the best veggie burger that I have ever tried, and the best part is, my family loves it as well!
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Layer the sliced mushrooms and one of the sliced apples onto a baking sheet.
- Spread the black beans and grated carrot onto another baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheets into the oven for 25 minutes until the mushrooms and apples have browned slightly and the black beans have split. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- In a food processor, pulse the cashews until crumbly but not powdery.
- Add the mushrooms, apples, black beans, and carrots and pulse into large crumbles.
- Add the Panko, egg, parmesan cheese, garlic, barbecue sauce, and salt and pulse until the mixture comes together.
- Add the brown rice and pulse until combined.
- Remove the mixture from the food processor and form into 4 individual patties. If the mixture sticks to your hands, add more bread crumbs. If it’s too crumbly, pulse a few more seconds in the food processor.
- Place the patties into the fridge covered for a minimum of one hour or overnight.
- Heat 3 tbsp of vegetable oil in a large frying pan on medium-high heat. Fry the veggie burgers for 4 minutes on each side, until brown and crispy.
- Thirty minutes to an hour before assembling the burgers, caramelize the sliced onions in a frying pan on low heat with 1 tsp of butter.
- To assemble the burger, place a slice of cheese onto the warm patty so it has a chance to melt slightly. Top with caramelized onions, lettuce, sliced apples, and mayonnaise.
- Calories: 597
- Carbohydrate Content: 78 g
- Cholesterol Content: 79mg
- Fat Content: 22 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 9 g
- Sodium Content: 764 mg
- Sugar Content: 20 g
- Trans Fat Content: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content: 12 g