Cherry season is in full swing! This is definitely my favorite time of year, for so many different reasons. Not the least of which are sweet cherries! My love of cherries has been well-documented here at The Stem, as well as on my own website Baking a Moment. There’s just something about their lush, sweet, and juicy flavor that screams summer to me! I put them into all sorts of delicious recipes, but these cute little cherry thumbprint cookies are my current favorite.
These cherry thumbprint cookies have a soft, pillow-y cookie dough infused with cream cheese for a rich flavor that can’t be beat. Top with a sprinkling of graham cracker crumbs and a jammy sweet cherry, and you have an incredible dessert or afternoon pick-me-up.
Here are a couple of tips to help your cookies really turn out their best:
- Scoop the dough into 1 tablespoon sized balls.
- Lightly dust your hands with flour before shaping the balls.
- Dip the tops of the balls in crushed graham cracker crumbs.
- Use the back of a 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon to create the indentation.
- Place the cherry cut-side down into the depression.
- Do not overbake- the cookies should just be barely golden on the bottoms!
- Store the cookies in an airtight container, with sheets of parchment or waxed paper in between. They should keep for up to a week.
I hope you enjoy these adorable little cherry thumbprint cookies as much as my family does!