Crisp Apples Ranked: What Are The Crunchiest Apples?
An apple’s crunchiness is like a flower’s smell — it’s the first impression we get before we pick it out from others depending on whether we enjoyed it or not. There’s nothing more satisfying than biting into an apple that fractures perfectly on the first bite. It’s like shaking someone’s hand for the first time and matching their confident energy with a firm grip and brilliant smile. But what are the crunchiest apples?
The first crunch impression of an apple is something you don’t forget, and next time you’re in the grocery store, you’ll find yourself looking for that same crunch-tastic fruit. So, if crunch is such a factor in the apple-eating experience, what are the crunchiest apples? Some may attest that Honeycrisp and Pink Lady® are the crunchiest, while others would shake their heads pointing to Cosmic Crisp® and SweeTango. To each their own, as everyone’s experience is different, but we’ve come up with a Crisp Apple Ranking Scale to help determine which apples have the wow-worthy crunch you’re looking for.
Crisp Apples Ranked: Crunchiest to Least Crunchy
- SweeTango – SweeTango apples naturally have larger cells giving them an extraordinary crunch and perfect fracture, in fact, it won the Guinness World Record for the World’s loudest crunch ever!
- Honeycrisp – A huge crunch successor that has been hard to beat since its creation!
- Cosmic Crisp® – New to the category of crunchiest apples, Cosmic Crisp® makes its way up the ladder with a honey-crisp like fracture and fine flesh.
- Pink Lady® – A crisp and firm apple that gives a fine crunch and tangy finish
- Rave® – Outrageously juicy with a refreshing snappy zing, Rave® apples are crisp and juicy.
- Pinata® – Balanced sweet to tart pineapple flavors follow just after this apple’s crisp and juicy bite.
- Granny Smith – I would consider Granny Smith to be a firm apple as opposed to a crunchy apple, but it still makes for a great crunch contender for its natural density and sour flavors.
- Fuji – A soft and sweet apple that’s a sweet-tooth’s dream. Fuji has a bit of crunch, but nothing too dramatic for this apple.
- Ambrosia – A fine-flesh apple with crispy floral notes makes a sweet addition to the crunch list with very little acidity.
- Gala – As mellow as sweet apples come, Gala apples are known for their sweet, vanilla aroma and soft bite.
- Red Delicious – Bittersweet and soft fleshed, the Red Delicious is a classic apple with mild crispiness.
- Golden Delicious – The Golden Delicious sits at the bottom of the crunch list with soft skin and mellow, yellow apple flavors.
Are You a Crisp Apple Fan?
Leave us a comment below sharing with us your favorite apple and why! Are you here for a monster crunch? Or a pleasantly sweet and soft bite? Let us know and share this blog with a friend asking them which apple they prefer and if we successfully listed these apples from crunchiest to least crunchy. Carry on, and keep on crunching away at your favorite apples!