Hi, I’m Jamie! I am so thrilled to be working with Stemilt on this delectable Peach Pie with Lattice Top recipe. I focus on balanced and seasonal recipes on my blog, So Happy You Liked It. I firmly believe that life should be well lived and delicious, which means using quality in-season ingredients. This recipe is the perfect example of indulging in the season’s finest without overcomplicating things! Read on to learn more about this surprisingly simple recipe and the method to create the perfect lattice topped pie.
The Very Best Peach Pie with Lattice Top
Nothing quite screams summer more than a slice of warm peach pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. This Peach Pie with Lattice Top is as delicious as it is beautiful! Fragrant and juicy Stemilt Artisan Organic Peaches are sliced and tossed with a handful of other ingredients that compliment rather than mask the sweet flavor. The mixture is piled high in a lightly sweetened homemade pie dough, and decoratively finished with a lattice top.
What Does Lattice Mean?
To lattice a pie crust simply means to cross strips of dough over each other in a decorative pattern on top of a pie. You’ve likely seen many pies made this way, but perhaps you’ve been too intimidated to try making one yourself. The good news? It’s so simple!
How To Make Peach Pie with Lattice Top
The beauty of this humble recipe is that it allows Stemilt Artisan Organic Peaches to be the star of the show.
The filling mixture includes:
- Stemilt Artisan Organic Peaches: No need to peel these beauties! Following the seam of the peach, use a sharp knife to slice the peach in half, but not all the way through: you’ll use the pit as an anchor. You’ll then gently twist the peach, with the pit remaining on one half of the peach. Pluck it out, and thiny slice the peach halves.
- Sugar: Only ¼ cup is needed to compliment the natural sweetness of the peaches.
- Cornstarch: This ingredient serves as a thickener. As the peaches bake, they will release liquid. If you don’t use cornstarch, it could become a sloppy mess! Don’t omit this ingredient.
- Cinnamon: Peaches get a nod of warmth from this cozy spice.
- Vanilla: Adding depth, vanilla is a staple in many baked goods.
- Lemon Juice: Acidity provides balance, offsetting the sweetness from the peaches and sugar.
Preparing the Pie
- Pulse the flour, sugar and salt in the bowl of your food processor until blended.
- Add the frozen cubes of butter and pulse until the mixture for about 10 seconds or until it looks like a coarse meal.
- Mix the vinegar into the ice water and pour the water over the mixture.
- Pulse again a few times until the dough comes together when pinched between your fingers. If needed, add just a bit more water.
- Divide the dough in half and shape into two disks. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- On a floured surface, roll out one of the disks to fit a 9 inch pie pan with an inch overhang.
- Leave the other disk in the refrigerator until needed. Press the pie dough into your pan, leaving the edge overhanging for now.
- In a large bowl, combine the peach slices, sugar, corn starch, cinnamon, vanilla and lemon juice.
- Stir until the peaches are coated.
Making The Lattice Top
- Roll out a disk of pie dough that is slightly wider than the pie you will be topping. Using a pizza cutter, pastry wheel or sharp knife, cut dough into one inch strips.
- Arrange the strips over the top of the pie in one direction, leaving about 1/2 inch in between and using the longest strips in the center.
- Fold back every other strip of dough, laying an additional strip in the oppostie direction. Fold the pieces you initially pulled back over the new piece of dough, and move onto the strips on the first layer that have not yet been pulled back. Repeat this process to cover the pie. It’s ok if your spacing isn’t consistent or the strips are’t straight: it will still be delicious!
- Once done, fold the strips of excess dough back towards the pie, rolling into the bottom crust, then crimp the edge all around using your knucke and two other fingers.
- Brush the top with the egg wash and sprinkle with the turbinado sugar.
Time For Pie!
In conclusion, this Peach Pie with Lattice Top is the ultimate sweet treat to feature Stemilt Artisan Organic Peaches. Go forth and try your hand at a lattice top knowing that delicious does not need to mean picture perfect! Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream: this one is bound to become your new favorite.