These grilled shrimp tostadas with Pinata apple and mango salsa are fresh, flavorful and perfect for summer.
Meet Holley, a registered dietician and mom to two from Birmingham, AL, and proud member of our Kitchen Council. For her first guest post on The Stem, Holley has created a vibrant dinner recipe with our signature apple variety, Piñata. It’s the perfect spring meal for upcoming Cinco de Mayo celebrations!
After a frigid, snowy winter, the weather is finally warming up so it’s time to dust off the grill (or more like defrost it!) and wake up your taste buds with a festive and tropical meal. I’m all about simple, quick, and flavor-packed recipes that the entire family will eat which is why a fruit salsa paired with a simple grilled protein option like seafood, chicken, beef, or pork is a common go-to dinner at our house. One taste of this grilled shrimp tostada topped with colorful apple and mango salsa is certain to awaken your taste buds and put you in the mood for warm, sunny weather.
While many people associate apples with fall, Piñata apples are available from November through May and offer a crisp texture and uniquely tropical flavor. I was first introduced to Piñata apples a few months ago and quickly became a huge fan. We eat apples in every possible form in our household—whole, sliced and paired with yogurt dip, baked, microwaved into chips, chopped fresh in salsas, etc.— so only one bite was all I needed to send my mind immediately spinning into recipe development mode.
I love this tostada recipe because you can quickly make it on your own or, if you have helpers, assign out responsibilities. My oldest (3 years old going on 23) likes to squeeze the limes to add juice to the salsa, my husband man’s the grill, and my youngest (14 months), is the keeper of the measuring spoons and cups which also makes her the accompanist.
A few quick tips about the recipe…
*You can either skewer the shrimp before grilling or add each one to the grill individually. The time it takes to do either step is about the same.
*I like to leave the tails on the shrimp for presentation. If you plan to wrap the ingredients into a tortilla versus topping the tostada shells, make sure to remove the tails.
*The salsa is a delicious stand-alone appetizer as well as a fresh side for grilled fish, chicken breasts, or pork tenderloin.
Check out the recipe below and let us know what you think in the comments!
- 24 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tsp salt-free Caribbean jerk seasoning
- 1 serrano chile, stemmed, seeded and diced
- 1 cup chopped Pinata apple
- 1 cup chopped mango
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 large avocado, mashed
- 8 corn tostadas
- lime wedges
Recipe: Grilled Shrimp Tostadas with Piñata Apple & Mango Salsa
Rate this recipe:
- Yield4 servings
- Preheat grill to high heat. Combine shrimp and seasoning; let stand 10 minutes.
- Combine chile, apple, and next 5 ingredients (through salt) in a medium bowl; toss to coat.
- Grill shrimp, covered with grill lid, 2 to 3 minutes on each side or just until shrimp turn pink.
- Top each tostada with 1 tablespoon mashed avocado, 3 shrimp, and ¼ cup apple-mango salsa. Sprinkle with additional chopped cilantro, if desired. Serve with lime wedges.