I love how relaxed and laidback summer feels. Long, warm days often lead to a busier schedule. More day time hours for bike rides to the ice cream shop after dinner. Late nights at the beach soaking up the summer sun. All my cares seem to melt away during the summer as my family and I try to spend as much time as possible enjoying the outdoors. Which is where one of my favorite summer recipes, my Peach and Arugula salad, comes in handy.
I love the relaxed nature that comes with summer cooking. Things seem less formal, and that’s ok. Eating outside, on a blanket, at the park happens regularly. It all seems to care-free. Another thing I love about summer is the produce. It’s so fresh, flavorful, local, and so easy to prepare in such a minimal form. Sliced tomatoes piled on top of crispy bread with a touch of salt can easily become dinner. Fresh vegetables chopped up in a bowl with some lettuce, olive oil, and seasonings can easily accompany something cooked on the grill.
When peaches are in season I try to incorporate them into as many meals as possible. One of my favorite ways to use them is in salads, particularly this peach, halloumi, and arugula salad with toasty bread. It’s a substantial salad, while still feeling light. It’s a perfectly well-rounded meal. You have the halloumi as protein, olive oil as the fat, bread as the carbohydrate, and of the fresh veggies as fiber. It’s easy to prepare, and extremely flavorful. With each bite comes an explosion of flavors and textures. It’s my ideal summer meal!
- 4 cups bread, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 8 oz halloumi, chopped
- 7 cups arugula, rinsed and dried
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 Stemilt peaches, sliced
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
This peach, halloumi and arugula salad is well-rounded and substantial, while still feeling light. It’s easy to prepare, and extremely flavorful and with each bite comes an explosion of flavors and textures.
- Preheat the oven 450ºF.
- Place the chopped bread onto a baking sheet and toss with 2 tbsp of olive oil, 1 tsp of salt, and 1 tsp of chili flakes.
- Place the baking sheet into the oven and bake until the bread has browned and is nice and crunchy, roughly 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- While the bread is toasting, heat a frying pan on medium heat.
- Add a drop of oil and fry the halloumi on each side until golden, approximately 2 - 3 minutes per side.
- Remove from the pan and let cool. In a large bowl, toss the arugula with 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- You want a nice even coating. Add more if needed.
- Add the sliced peaches, cherry tomatoes, and shallots to the arugula and toss.
- Season the salad with lime juice, salt, and pepper. Taste and add more seasoning if needed.
- Add the toasted bread and the fried halloumi to the salad. Plate and serve.
- Calories: 410
- Fat Content: 25g
- Saturated Fat Content: 9g
- Unsaturated Fat Content: 14g
- Trans Fat Content: 0.5g
- Carbohydrate Content: 31g
- Protein Content: 16g
- Cholesterol Content: 39mg
- Fiber Content: 4g
- Sugar Content: 13g
- Sodium Content: 1200mg