Our Crisp Collaborator Amanda Hernandez created some delicious chocolate cherry brownies, that are not only featuring our dark-sweet cherries but are vegan and gluten-free!
I’m calling these the best brownies you will ever taste! These allergy-friendly, vegan gluten-free chocolate cherry brownies are fudgy and full of flavor. They make the perfect dessert. Pair with a glass of plant-based milk or a scoop of vegan ice cream for the ultimate treat. I had my husband try a bite right after they cooled and he was shocked they are gluten-free and vegan so they are definitely a treat that everyone can enjoy.
Gluten-Free & Vegan
I made these brownies gluten-free by switching to gluten-free flour to make them allergy-friendly to anyone you’re serving them to. If you don’t need to follow a gluten-free diet, feel free to use white whole-wheat flour instead. The brownies are vegan by using no eggs and soy milk though any plant-based milk will work well.
At first, I kept the batch small and then I thought, these brownies would be amazing to bring to a picnic so I doubled the size of my original brownies. If you have some leftover, you can always freeze them as well. I bet you won’t have any left though as they’re super delicious! They taste very rich and indulgent and the chocolate and cherry flavors go together so well.
Your New Favorite Treat
While these chocolate cherry brownies wouldn’t be called healthy exactly since they are a dessert, they are on the healthier side with less sugar, unsweetened applesauce and of course, delicious Stemilt cherries. Cherries are packed with nutrients with antioxidants, vitamin C, fiber, and potassium. That dark red color means that cherries are packed with anthocyanins which is a type of antioxidant that helps protect the heart and improves cognitive function. Cherries are also wonderful for workout recovery.
Enjoy a batch of these delicious chocolate cherry brownies and let us know what you think!
- 1 cup pitted and halved Stemilt cherries
- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 1/2 cup avocado oil
These allergy-friendly vegan gluten-free chocolate cherry brownies are fudgy and full of flavor.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray an large baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Add in the vanilla, applesauce, milk, and avocado oil.
- Carefully stir in the cherries.
- Bake the brownies for 20-25 minutes, until the edges are all cooked and the center looks just slightly underdone. Stick a toothpick into the center of the brownies and it should come out without batter sticking to it.
- Let cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing. These brownies store well in the fridge (and tastes great cold) for up to a week, or in the freezer for 6 months.
- Calories: 120
- Fat Content: 2.6g
- Cholesterol Content: 0mg
- Sodium Content: 84mg
- Carbohydrate Content: 26.9g
- Fiber Content: 3.7g
- Sugar Content: 15.6g
- Protein Content: 2.7g