They’re back! Our signature apple variety, Pinata®, is in season once again and available in supermarkets across the U.S. and Canada for a limited time. If you’re unfamiliar with this unique new apple variety, read this post where I share the history of how it came to be Stemilt’s exclusive apple, as well as it’s many qualities that make it special.
Pinata has been nicknamed the tropical apple, though the primary place it grows – in our central Washington orchards – is far from tropical. The nickname comes from Pinata apple’s unique flavor profile. This fruit is crisp and juicy with balanced sweet and tart notes that give it a classic apple flavor, and an infamous twist in the form of a subtle tropical finish that many describe as pineapple-like. There’s no better apple to bite into and enjoy when it becomes available every January (and for lucky people, sometimes before that).
Among the many great attributes of Pinata is the apple’s ability to be used in a variety of culinary dishes. Desserts, entrees, salads, and even sips…the options are endless when it comes to the versatile Pinata apple. This post shares 5 ways to enjoy Pinata apples this season.
5 Ways to Enjoy Pinata Apples:
- In a Hearty Muffin: Our Pinata Apple & Carrot Morning Glory Muffin recipe was created awhile back by Lorie, and combines bites of Pinata apple with carrot and chopped pecans. It’s a great sweet, yet hearty, treat to help you start your day. It’s also a great recipe to pull up for any brunch you happen to host.
- In a Fresh Salad: Apples add a wonderful crisp texture and sweet flavor to salads, and Pinata is no exception. One of my favorite recipes for the winter season is our Kale and Pinata Apple Salad. It features pomegranates, good-for-you kale, and toasted hazelnuts and is dressed in a homemade coconut-orange dressing that brings out the tropical tones of Pinata apples. You can’t go wrong enjoying this for lunch or as a dinner side.
- Blended in a Simple Smoothie: Drink your apple-a-day in this easy to make Pinata Apple Green Smoothie. It’s a great starter smoothie recipe and an easy way to load up on good-for-you spinach (which you can see but won’t be able to taste!).
- With Pork: Pork and apples is a classic pairing that’s made better by Pinata apples. Give our Pork Tenderloin with Pinata Apples recipe a try for your next fancy dinner!
- For Dessert: Pinata apples cannot be forgotten when it comes to everyone’s favorite course – dessert! Pinata is the perfect choice for apple pie, cakes, and virtually any apple dessert recipe you can dream up!
Now it’s your turn to share! How are you enjoying Pinata apples this year? Tell us in the comments below!