Pear butter is such a delicious spread for baked goods like biscuits, toast, pancakes, and our favorite: waffles!
You might be thinking: what the heck is pear butter? Think jam, but with much less sugar, smoother in texture, and no gelatin-like consistency. The great thing about making it yourself is you can choose how smooth or chunky you would like it to be. We like to blend until it is mostly smooth for easier spreading.
How to Make Pear Butter
Simply cook pears down with a little brown sugar, lemon juice, and warm spices like cinnamon and nutmeg, then blend using a standard blender, immersion blender, or your food processor. Pour into jars and store in the fridge for up to a week. We recommend our Green D’Anjou Pears. These pears are sweet but with plenty of fresh citrus flavor that makes for a delicious, bright-tasting spread.
Waffles Topped with Pear Butter
Want to try our suggestion and PEAR (see what we did there?) this with waffles? Our friend Chelsea from A Duck’s Oven came up with a simple and flavorful recipe that everyone in the family will be craving, including the waffles, too! Try this delicious combo and then leave us a review.
- For Pear Butter:
- 3 lbs. ripe Stemilt pears, peeled, cored and diced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- For Waffles:
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups milk (any milk is fine)
- 1/4 cup canola oil (can also use melted butter, coconut oil, or any other oil)
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
This pear butter is the perfect topping for your morning waffles, and the kids are going to love it.
For Pear Butter:
- Add all ingredients to a large saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low.
- Place a lid over the top, leaving a crack for steam to escape, and simmer for about 45 minutes, until it has reduced slightly and thickened. Keep an eye on it and stir occasionally so it doesn’t burn.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a food processor or blender.
- Pulse until it’s as smooth as you wish (it can be completely smooth or you can leave it chunky).
- Transfer to jars or other containers, seal, and refrigerate until ready to use. Keep for up to a week.
- Note: Pear butter can be frozen for up to a year.
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Whisk eggs until homogeneous. Whisk in flour, milk, oil, sugar, baking powder, salt and vanilla, just until smooth.
- Spray preheated waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray. Pour mix onto hot waffle iron.
- Cook according to manufacturer instructions. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Top with Stemilt D’Anjou Pear Butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon, if desired.
- Calories: 461
- Fat Content: 13g
- Cholesterol Content: 61mg
- Sodium Content: 118mg
- Carbohydrate Content: 80.5g
- Fiber Content: 8.5g
- Sugar Content: 34g
- Protein Content: 9.7g